Almost there…! I’ve been posting regular updates on the Form Tools twitter account, but the new site is almost ready for prime time. You can find the staging environment here:
Finding time to finish it off is the tricky part. If I could drop everything, I’d say it’s only 2 or 3 days away, but since I have a day job (and a helluva commute) it’ll probably be 2 or 3 weeks. Doesn’t help that our car died, so a lot of time is going into finding a replacement. But… coming soon!
Man, can’t wait for this to be done so I can return to the actual script itself.
EDIT: the new site has been released. Few issues here and there, but on the whole it’s been pretty successful. Form Tools 3 is now coming along. :)
I just released a first draft of birdsearch.org for mobile devices. You can find it at birdsearch.org, just like with the main site. The website is now responsive and shows a different layout based on the device size you’re browsing it on.
Still a few bugs to work through, but it’s basically there. I decided to target iPhone 6-size screens and higher. iPhone 5 was just a little too small to handle well, and it seems like for better or worse, small screens are going the way of the passenger pigeon.
Form Tools next!
Alrighty! I just released another small update to birdsearch.org, the latest of a series of bug fix releases. I believe this release now fixes all the significant errors, so I’m going to be putting the site largely aside for a bit. The next task for that site is to add mobile support – something badly needed! But first I want to return to Form Tools for a little while.
btw, I’m off to Mexico for a week so sorry if I don’t respond promptly to anyone.
The site has been all moved over and I patched up a few things (how long has the news failed to load? Yikes). Let me know if anyone has any problems, so far so good.
Just a heads up, I’ll be moving generatedata.com to a new hosting environment in the next couple of days. It’ll possibly be offline for a little while while it occurs. This is something of an experiment… depending on how it goes I may switch back in a month or so. We’ll see!
Now that birdsearch.org is out the door and looking more solid by the day (maybe a week or two’s worth of bug fixes left, I think), I’ve tentatively pulled back the veil on Form Tools once again. Form Tools is a script I created well over 10 years ago, which grew and grew into something of a monster. But a good monster. Sure it lives under the stairs, drools a lot, and is pretty terrifying when you first meet it, but really it’s pretty great at heart. Honest.
Since departing the project a few years back, I’ve made two or three aborted attempts to return to the script. Question is: how? It’s so massive, each time I do, I get overwhelmed with the sheer volume of work required, something life-related comes up and I end up having to back off. But the bottom line is I think it’s a great script and well worth updating.
So anyway, I’m trying to come to terms with exactly how I can return it – how I can split it up into smaller pieces to tame this creature. Let’s see how this goes.
Couple of small updates to birdsearch.org this last week:
- Report Sightings link added to the top header
- Incorporated feedback from a few people to improve the UI in the few places.
- Settings tab updates to include a new “Map Styles” section that lets you customize the look of the map. There are now six styles, chosen to be either quite dark or light to ensure the map markers show up clearly.
Next version is going to be for bug fixes only. There are a few small things I’d like to patch before letting more people know about the site.
Well, for a project that was supposed to just take a few months, this sure took the cake. But it’s live at last: check it out! birdsearch.org.
I created the site 3 years ago, and even though very few people actually use it (I should probably have let people know it was there) I’ve found it invaluable for my own birding. This new version was a complete rewrite in React, Redux, react-intl with a Node backend. It’s still in beta – I’ve got a running list of bugs and enhancements to fix on github here. But as a first draft I’m very pleased.
I’ll write a separate post about the technology behind it all, but feature-wise there are lots of nice improvements:
- Better UI / user experience. The site now welcomes you with two easy options: Search Nearby and Search Anywhere. 9 times out of 10, I found I used the site to keep track of what was being sighted in my neighbourhood. This let’s me get that info at the touch of a single button.
- Simplified search. I moved all “advanced” features to a settings section. That’s where you find the option to search Notable Sightings,
- Extra stuff removed. I removed the option to search for nearby hotspots. It didn’t add much, and the eBird website offers this functionality in a far better format.
- Wikipedia links for all species. This is a rather nifty option. When you browse the sightings, each bird species shows a Wikipedia link. Clicking it takes you to a wikipedia article about the species. When I use the site to browse birds in far-off places I’m going to be visiting, I find this feature particularly useful.
- Misc UI improvements. Sightings now link to the original checklist on eBird; all data is sortable (species name, location, sightings count, etc); you can filter locations and results by a search string to pinpoint exactly what species/location you’re interested in.
So yeah, check it out.
birdsearch.org will be down for a little while this weekend while I move it over to its new home at Digital Ocean. Just a heads up. I’ll make a post once it’s all complete.
10pm Sat Oct 29th: yikes, not going fabulously. The site’s going to be offline for a while while I sort this all out.