Bowen island

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 in Blog | 0 comments

Alright! We’re now (mostly) moved over to our new house on Bowen Island, BC. It’s beautiful, wow. Amazing house and area, super friendly neighbours. Incredibly quiet, save for a deafening Barred Owl that hoots outside our window all night.

Just settling into the patterns of island living: working around ferry schedules, planning trips to the mainland to pick up necessities. Lots of logistics, but manageable.

Tonight I think there are enough boxes unpacked that I’ll have time for some programming & responding to emails. Exciting! (I’m serious).

And loads of birds, wow. Black swift and common nighthawk seen daily, what a treat. Our feeders are overrun with a huge variety. Lovely!

Read More

Goings on

Posted on Jun 21, 2015 in Blog | 0 comments

A few things to report. Lately I’ve released a few small updates to d3pie and country-region-selector, and in a temporary fit of enthusiasm wrote a small script to help me start cataloguing my birding pictures. Bit delinquent of me, considering all the other work I should be doing, but hell it was fun… and it paves the way for great things down the road.

The generatedata issue mentioned in the earlier post has been fixed. I’m really not sure what happened there… re-running grunt generated a different, valid JS file. Very curious considering nothing changed.

On a personal note, my wife and I are moving to Bowen island next week – a small island just NW of Vancouver, within commuting distance. So we have a couple of hectic weeks ahead of us getting packed, purchasing stuff for the new house, and setting fire to our current house and walking away Vladimir Putin-style. We’ve been looking forward to this for… years? That probably wouldn’t be an exaggeration.

For my part, living on Bowen should mean a much more relaxed lifestyle: less driving, more time at home. I hate driving – it stresses me out – and Vancouver’s far too big a place for me. My current job lets me work from home, so it’s perfect.

The one big downside to island living will that it’s going to mean a lot less birding. That’ll be a shock to the system: I’ve ramped up a decent bird list this year (around 420) and 269 of them in BC. It’s become part of my lifestyle. But post-move, most of my spare time will be working on the house. It’s in great shape, but houses always need work – and we need to create an outdoor cat run, so our cats don’t run wild and eat all the neighbourhood birds. That’ll take a month or so.

Anyway, I have high hopes that once everything’s died down and I’m ensconced on Bowen I’ll have more time for thing. Namely: Form Tools, that old beast.

Read More site bug

Posted on May 26, 2015 in, Open Source Projects | 4 comments

So this is strange. The last 24 hours or so I’ve noticed that the website sometimes fails to load. The JS errors don’t make terribly much sense, it’s like the JS isn’t fully loading sequentially. I haven’t changed the code in several months.

Seems like it’s local to Chrome only. Firefox seems fine. I’m going to monitor it – possibly it’s a Chrome issue that was introduce in 44.x.

Read More

generatedata 3.2.1

Posted on May 25, 2015 in, Open Source Projects | 2 comments

I just released a new version of generatedata. You can download the free standalone script from the github repo here. This new version fixes a few smaller issues that have been reported, but most significantly it includes a great new feature to back up your data set configurations. Now, any time you save a data set it automatically saves a new copy of the configuration. Loading it will always default to the latest copy, but in case you ever need it, you can just click in the History link for that data set in the main dialog (found by clicking the Data Sets icon) and you can browse the history.

Every now and then I’ve heard of people run into problems when saving a data set. And if you’re dealing with really large data sets, clicking “save” and finding you’ve lost all your data is a pretty darn serious bug. But not being able to reproduce it, I decided that this would be a nice interim fix – as well as provide some good additional functionality.

I won’t be updating the public website for a little while longer yet. I’d like this feature to be out in the wild for a few months to confirm everything works as expected.

Enjoy! :D

Read More